January 3, 2013
Full text available
133. Reading the Invisible and Unwanted in Old and New Media
5:15–6:30 p.m., The Fens, Sheraton
Presiding: Lori A. Emerson, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder
1. “Apple Macintosh and the Ideology of the User-Friendly,” Lori A. Emerson
2. “OCR (Optical Character Recognition) and the Vestigial Aesthetics of Machine Vision,” Zach Whalen, Univ. of Mary Washington
3. “Lost in Plain Sight: Microdot Technology and the Compression of Reading,” Paul Benzon, Temple Univ., Philadelphia
4. “An Account of Randomness in Literary Computing,” Mark Sample, George Mason Univ.
For abstracts, visit loriemerson.net.